Dear EMS friends,
The other day, our friend and colleague, Paramedic Tom Powers, passed away at the age of 61 due to a medical condition. His family made the decision to let him pass peacefully with them at his side. Please keep Tom and his family in your hearts, thoughts and prayers. Tom made a tremendous difference in our world and he will be sorely missed by all.
Local 167 is looking for people that want to be involved on AHEMS’ Safety and Crash Review Committees. There are current openings. Meeting and time commitments will vary. Please email L167 Secretary Amanda Groshens at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Ebola is all over the media but it’s not the only thing to worry about. Enterovirus D68 and the upcoming influenza season are on the radar as well.
Local 167 leadership has been working closely with Allina Health EMS Management to make sure you have the most up to date information, procedures and equipment.
To that end, you will start seeing new PPE, screening tools, training and information about these important issues. Susan Long, Director of Clinical Services will be the contact person for AHEMS’ response to these emerging diseases. Please check your email and the AKN for additional information. Below are links to Allina’s Infection Control guidelines and the current CDC guidelines.
Welcome back to the Local 167 discussion forums. Please feel free to discuss whatever you wish but keep it respectful. Keep in mind that people have shared (improperly of course) items from past discussion forums with members of AHEMS Management.
President Hopper and VP Dougherty recently attended the 2014 NAGE National Convention from 09/09/14 to 09/11/14 at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas, NV. Several hundred delegates from all over the U.S. attended. They represented Locals from the IAEP, NAGE, IBPO, DoD and more. Here’s some of the highlights:
– Key-note speakers included SEIU International President Mary Kay Henry.
– New National Constitution and By-laws ratified. You can download a copy by clicking the DL link http://www.nage.org/news/NAGE-National-Convention-Elects-Officers-Ratifies-Bylaws.html
– Elections for National President, Vice Presidents and National Executive Board positions were completed. Congrats to L167 President Brett Hopper on re-election to the NAGE Executive Board! IAEP members continue to try to get more representation on the National E-Board.
– The IAEP is the fastest growing section of NAGE with over 1200 new members certified in the past months!
– Other topics covered were Local financial requirements, charitable donation opportunities and Legal issues affecting Unions.